Monday, July 28, 2008

printing day!

Week Three: Time to print! Since it can take 30 min to clean off ink from the press we needed to coordinate as a class which color would start on the Chandler & Price and which would go on the Vandercook (flat bed cylinder press.) So we decided on brown for the C&P printers and red for the Vandercook. I was first up on the C&P, I was so nervous!! I had to practice my timing of feeding new notecards and taking them out (a.k.a. the part where you can smash your fingers.) I did two dry runs with the press not meeting to make an impression and then on the third I started printing. Here is the final result!
We do "kiss impressions" in class which means there is a very slight impression into the paper but it is not visible on the other side. This is meant to save the metal type from being worn down or ruined as much as possible. I set up type for Thank You fold over cards which I will print first thing this week, our last class already :(

3 comments:

oh, hello friend. said...

aw hurray for letterpress cards! : )
yours turned out so great, good placement and spacing for the 4 corners!
<3

Shannon said...

Those look so great! It's so fascinating to hear about the process and then get to see the result. Very fun.

Anonymous said...

take a close-up of it with your camera on the macro setting so we can see the impression! looks nice!