Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First letterpress class!

I had my first class this past Saturday! Not a whole lot to report just yet but I thought I would post anyway. Brenda met up with me at the bus near my place and we took that and two trains over to Pasadena, Danni joined us at the school.
This class was pretty much an over view of the course and letterpress in general. We asked any questions we had and learned about our teachers background. She has 12 years of letterpress printing experience! Needless to say this is something that takes a long time to master. We got to look through all the cases of type and figure out what out first project would be. Next was watching her do a printing demo. There is a lot of safety rules to keep in mind when doing this, if you get a chance to watch the youtube video I put here you can see the press opening and closing...it does so with 1,200 lbs of pressure(!) so watching our fingers and keeping a steady rhythm when changing out the paper is a must.




After class I walked over to Paper Source and got some flat notecards and some envelopes to print some personalized stationery. There are 8 people in the class so depending on if my design isn't too complex I may print in this weeks class. I'm really excited to see how it all goes!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Ooh sounds fun and a little scary. Don't lose any fingers ok? Can't wait to see your first project!