

If I'm not checking out movies from Memorial Library then I'm here at The New Beverly theater.
It's about 1.5 miles from our place but I would drive from just about any place to see something here. This revival theater is celebrating its 30th anniversary today! It's a steal at $7/double feature, but Karl and I go here so often we get a pass that makes the movies $4.50/double feature, so cheap! We've seen some really great double bills here, from Metropolis & Dark City (my first time there!) to The Monkee's movies Head & Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. The New Beverly is really special to us. This is a little blurb from their calendar this month...
This May 5th will mark the start of the New Beverly Cinema's 30th year in business! To celebrate this occasion, our May 2008 calendar will be a show-for-show replication of our May 1978 debut calendar. The only deviations from May 1978 will be the Grindhouse Film Festival shows, the midnight shows, and a substitute for LOGAN'S RUN on May 4-6 (no studio prints of that title exist at the moment). In keeping with the spirit of the 30th anniversary, all of these shows will be from 1978 or earlier.
RESERVOIR DOGS, one of the New Beverly's most successful midnight shows, and one of the longest running (every Saturday at midnight for most of the early to mid 90s), will also return to the New Beverly Fridays at midnight starting May 9!
The May 2008 is lovingly dedicated to my dad Sherman, who was the main driving force behind the New Beverly from its founding in '78 until his sudden and untimely passing this past July. The New Beverly would have never made it this far without him, and we'll never forget him.
- Michael Torgan

image above: The late Sherman Torgan

1 comment:
Very cool. I love old theaters! There is one in Gresham, OR that my hubby took me to when were first married. It was so fun! I think we saw The Hulk or some such lame movie, but it was still fun to sit up in the balcony.
PS-i have never seen reservoir dogs. I'll have to make a blockbuster run!
Post a Comment