Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Women's League

Last night was the Biz Ladies Meetup organized by Grace from Design*Sponge! My mind is still reeling from it. Walking into Design Within Reach was really overwhelming, there were so many ladies there who just looked fabulous. After grabbing a snack, I didn't want to feel like a loner so I introduced myself to the girl next to me and ta-da(!) she's rad! We sat down at the first group which had a speaker from Smith Barney to discuss financial planning and investing as women and as potential small business owners. So much information to process but really good to hear. She recommended this book to read On My Own Two Feet: A Modern Girl's Guide to Personal Finance

Second group was with Tanya Aguiniga, originally from Tijuana, Mexcio and a RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) grad with her MFA. It was really inspiring to hear her story and to see how driven she is is what's making everything work for her in the interesting niche of furniture design. What would YOU do if you got a $50,000 grant for your work??

The third session was with Grace. She broke down amazing PR/Marketing tips for someone who's just getting started. It's crazy how simple it actually is if you just focus on what your audience is. I think my biggest fear of what I want to do is that the market is just getting too saturated but I also think that keeping true to my vision is what will set me apart from others just following a fad.

The last group were really exciting to hear from because I love their website and wish I could buy everything from it! The ladies that started Reform School in Silverlake talked all about how they took their idea and got it off the ground. They made it clear that they are still learning and starting small is the best way to go.

Leaving the place we were asked if there was some kind of women's lib/women's league meeting in there haha which just made me think of that red hat society.

I came home just wanting to get started on planning and still as I'm writing this I'm thinking of ideas I need to jot down and organize.
------

My college pal Brenda and I registered yesterday at Armory Center for Arts for their summer session Letterpress class! I've been wanting to do this since last summer so I'm really glad it's finally working out. I've found a few other places that teach it but it was double was they charge at Armory. So my Saturdays in July will be filled with this. Here are some pictures Karl took when we went to visit it last summer.



That's it for now!

2 comments:

brendeja said...

I am so excited for our classes-- it's going to be such a fun summer!!

And Reform School is the shit. That's where I found your Tim Gunn postcard!

Anonymous said...

so bummed i missed the design sponge meet-up. and, so jealous that you're taking letterpress classes!